Hosts Sloan Simmons joins veteran municipal practitioner James Sanchez and Governance Practice Group Co-Chair Ryan Tung to discuss the election process and the California Voting Rights Act (CVRA), including the legal requirements and practical impacts of the CVRA, as well as best practices for California public entities following the transition from at-large to trustee area elections.
Show Notes & References
- 1:57 – California Voting Rights Act (CVRA), Elections Code sections 14025-14032
- 2:10 – At-large method of election
- 3:34 – By-district or by-trustee area elections
- 4:39 – Demand letters and litigation
- 5:47 – Notice received and timelines
- 7:47 – Low probability of successful defense of at-large election challenges
- 10:15 – Pico Neighborhood Association et al. v. City of Santa Monica
- 11:08 – Court of appeal decision and California Supreme Court review
- 11:48 – Transition process from at-large elections
- 14:32 – Unique issues for public agencies
- 17:40 – Redistricting requirement
- 19:54 – Post-transition time
Lozano Smith’s COVID-19 Resources can be found here.
For more information on the topics discussed in this podcast, please visit our website at: www.lozanosmith.com/podcast.