Managing school board meetings in the face of disruption created by parents, employees, and members of the public can be challenging. This podcast will explore best practices to regulate this disruption and create rules and de-escalation techniques to ensure an orderly meeting. To explore this timely topic, co-host Joshua Whiteside introduces a discussion on point between local governance experts and Lozano Smith partners, Roman Muñoz from the Sacramento office and Chelsea Olson Murphy from the San Luis Obispo office.
Show Notes & References
- 3:51 – Current landscape
- 6:42 – Problematic behaviors
- 8:52 – Proactive steps for districts
- 19:26 – Best practices for school board meetings
- 19:46 – Lozano Smith Resource: “Best Practices for Maintaining Decorum and Order at School Board Meetings”
- 24:00 – De-escalation techniques
- 25:46 – Progression of response
- 29:19 – End response options – clearing the room and adjourning
- 33:32 – Clearing the room (Government Code section 54957.9)
- 37:57 – Major takeaways
Lozano Smith’s COVID-19 Resources can be found here.
For more information on the topics discussed in this podcast, please visit our website at: www.lozanosmith.com/podcast.