Host Sloan Simmons talks with Lozano Smith attorneys Ruth Mendyk and Chelsea Olson Murphy about the latest developments on COVID-19 and student athletics, with a focus on the most recent guidance from the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), as well as other state public health directives and guidance heading into the 2020-2021 school year.
UPDATE 12/1/2020 – CIF puts hold on start date for full practice and competition for Education Based Athletics: https://cifstate.org/covid-19/12.1.20_release
Since recording this podcast, the California Department of Public Health updated its publication for Schools and School Based Programs to add COVID-19 guidance on Sports and Extra Curricular Activities. A copy of this August 3, 2020 CDPH COVID-19 Guidance: Schools and School Based Programs is accessible here: https://files.covid19.ca.gov/pdf/guidance-schools.pdf. Additionally, CIF has established a COVID-19 Resources page accessible here: https://www.cifstate.org/covid-19/index.
Show Notes & References
- 1:56 – California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Guidance (July 20, 2020)
- 5:24 – 2020-21 Seasons of Sports and Calendar Dates
- 7:17 – Participation and Competition With Outside Teams
- 9:56 – Thirty day waiver for physical examinations for CIF participation in fall sports (Client News Brief 53: July 2020)
- 11:18 – Waivers and Notices
- 13:42 – K-8 and unified school district sports programs
- 15:26 – Coaches and employment issues
- 18:53 – Summer athletic activities
Lozano Smith’s COVID-19 Resources can be found here.
For more information on the topics discussed in this podcast, please visit our website at: www.lozanosmith.com/podcast.