As discussed in Episode 56, there were three pending charter school petition appeals to the State Board of Education (SBE) following denial by the respective LEAs. These were the first three charter petition appeals subject to the new appeal processes since Assembly Bill 1505 became effective in 2020. In this Lozano Smith Podcast episode, host Sloan Simmons engages with Megan Macy and Courtney de Groof to follow up and discuss the outcomes of these petition appeals and what to anticipate going forward.
Show Notes & References
- 1:51 – AB 1505 and appeals to the State Board of Education (SBE)
- 3:39 – Standards of review
- 4:50 – Recent local educational agency (LEA) appeals
- 7:23 – Advisory Committee on Charter Schools (ACCS)
- 9:08 – Summary denial process
- 9:59 – Fiscal impact basis of denial (Education code section 47605 (c) (8))
- 11:41 – Fiscal Crisis & Management Assistance Team (FCMAT)
- 13:00 – Procedural issues related to public hearings
- 14:31 – Community interest standard of denial (Education code section 47605 (c) (7))
- 16:39 – Determining charter authorizers
- 19:01 – Appeals going forward
For more information on the topics discussed in this podcast, please visit our website at: www.lozanosmith.com/podcast.