Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 49:23 — 68.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
Devon Lincoln talks with charter school law experts Ed Sklar and Claudia Weaver about the statewide conversation currently surrounding charter schools and the impact they have on traditional public schools. From recent teacher strikes, to the election of a new Superintendent of Public Instruction, to a raft of new legislative proposals, the role of charter schools is front and center in California politics right now. Ed and Claudia discuss the shift in the debate regarding charter schools, the origins of this debate, the issues it raises, and what the future might hold for educational options in the state.
Show Notes & References
- Education Code section 47600 et seq. (“Charter Schools Act of 1992”)
- Sunshine Laws To Begin Shining On Charter Schools: Charter Schools Subject To Public Transparency Laws (Client News Brief: January 2019)
- Governor Signs Transparency Bill (Client News Brief: March 2019)
- 101 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 92 (Dec. 26, 2018)
- Ricardo Cano, ‘Common sense regulations’ or ‘an extended middle finger’—how far will California go on charter schools? (March 6, 2019)
For more information on the topics discussed in this podcast, please visit our website at: www.lozanosmith.com/podcast.